Scary can be good. When it comes to horror movies, I’m all in. That kind of scary is fun. Halloween haunted houses totally freak me out, but again it’s all in good fun. But the real world has a lot of scary in it too and that’s the kind that gets to me. So here’s what scares me (not necessarily in order—other than the first one).
The BIG scary things:
- Something happening to my family (This is my biggest fear. I love my family.)
- Incurable diseases. (I’ve seen too many deaths caused by disease. Let’s find some cures already.)
- Letting people down. (I hate to disappoint people, which is why I give everything I have when I do things.)
- Failure (I think this one scares most of us, but failing as a mother, wife, or author would crush me.)
- Losing my eyesight (I know it sounds strange but I wear contacts and I think that makes me appreciate the ability to see. If I couldn’t see my daughter grow up, I don’t know what I’d do.)
The not-so-big scary things:
- Snakes (There’s a reason snakes appear in my paranormal/horror novels. They are downright terrifying.)
- Ghosts (I tell myself they aren’t real because I’ve read that you can block them that way. Nope, not real.)
- Sharks (I may have seen Jaws at a really young age.)
- Dolls (I blame the movie Child’s Play and also those dolls that have the eyes that can close. That noise they make when their eyes close makes me shiver. Can you tell I have a life-size doll like this when I was little? It TERRIFIED me! I hated it but it was my mom’s and I didn’t have the heart to tell her I didn’t like it.)
I’m sure I can think of more things that scare me, but those are the ones most readily on my mind.
What scares you?